Local Temperature: 24°C
Cheese: Minas Frescal
Start to Finish: 3 hours 30 minutes
- 4l Homogenized Pasteurized Cow’s Milk
- 1,6 ml (¼ tsp) Vegetarian Rennet dissolved in ¼ cup non-chlorinated (spring) water
- 2.5 ml Calcium Chloride diluted in ¼ cup non-chlorinated (spring) water
- 5 gr. Cheese salt (roughly 1 tbsp.)
- – : Sterilized 2 butter muslins, scooping spoon, “cheese knife”, pipet, glass cup measure milk thermometer, silicone spatula, 4l cheese vat and 2 feta molds with 2 caps of Iodophor solution in 4l of water.
- 10:34 am: Filled the cheese vat with the 4 liters of cow’s milk. Measured the temperature. Slowly increased the temperature by putting it in bain-marie:
- T0 (10:34) – 18oC
- T1 (10:38) – 19oC
- T2 (10:42) – 25oC
- T3 (10:46) – 30oC
- T4 (10:50) – 36oC: Reached desired temperature
- 10:50 am: Added the 2.5 ml calcium chloride whilst stirring with up and down movements. Continued stirring for 30 seconds. Then added the Rennet solution to the milk whilst stirring with up and down movements. Continued stirring for 30 seconds. Put water in incubator at a temperature of 42oC. Placed cheese vat in incubator covered and let it rest.
- 11:25 am: Verified that there was no sign of curding. Doubled the amount of calcium chloride (not diluted) and vegetarian rennet. Removed from the incubator and let it rest.
- 12:50 pm: Curd formed well. Cut the curd in 1-inch squares and let it rest for 5 minutes.
- 12:55 pm: Slowly stirred the curds for 5 minutes and put water in incubator at a temperature of 46oC. Placed cheese vat in incubator covered and let it rest for 25 minutes.
- 1:25 pm: Scooped the curds into the feta molds and let it rest for 10 minutes. Turned them, placing on the rack to dry and let it rest for another 10 minutes.
- 1:45 pm: Dry rubbed the salt on the cheese and put it in the fridge to cool down.