Inside temperature at the start of the the process: 20.6°C – Got the temperature to rise to 26°C (and slightly above) during the process. Tried to keep it stable at 26°C.
10:00 am – I measured all ingredients.
10:10 am – Mixed the yeast with 50g of water and let it rest for 10 minutes to activate. While I waited, mixed the salt with the flour and sifted it. Made a well in the middle of the flour salt mix.
10:20 am – Put the yeast mixture in the well and the remaining water and mixed with a wooden spoon until I got a firm wet dough.
10:23 am – Let it rest for 30 minutes.
10:53 am – Turned the dough onto a lightly floured surface. The dough was still wet, but workable. Started kneading the dough.
11:06 am – Finished kneading the bread. Scraped the dough into a lightly oiled bowl (that was kept in hot water to warm it up). Covered it with a lightly floured kitchen towel and left it close to the heater (set for 28°C to try to keep the temperature at 26°C) to rise for 3 hours.
2:00 pm – Checked the dough. It looked very airy. Put it on a floured surface and shaped it into a ball. Put the ball in the proofing basket and let it rest for another hour.
2:50 pm – turned the oven on to pre-heat to 240°C (my oven does not do 245°C).
2:55 pm – Slashed the dough while the oven was preheating and made a big X.
3:00 pm – My husband didn’t see the slashing (first time using the lame), he asked to see me slashing (and did the last slash).
3:05 pm – Due to oven logistics, had to move the dough from the original tray to a rectangular (high walls) baking sheet.
3:10 pm – Put the dough in the oven with an oven proof container filled with water to produce steam.
3:55 pm – Removed the dough from the oven and put it on a wire rack to cool down.
A few notes before I finish the post:
- I halved the original recipe
- The recipe used 50% less yeast than the other ones I had been doing
- The recipe took twice as long to rise (because of half of the amount of yeast).